Thursday, April 26, 2012

Draft: Day One

Its a new year and a new draft. Last year I successfully picked the Cameron Heyward pick for the Steelers; I did go 0 for my next 6 though. So, who do I like this year? What do the Steelers need first?

The Steelers need a lot of help on the offensive line and they could very well ignore that in the first round but should they? I keep hearing all the Dont'a Hightower talk and to me it doesn't make any sense. We have a few great young linebackers, see Stevenson Sylvester, and there are later round picks that could sure this spot up without ignoring the other first round talents. The biggest thing is that our offensive line needs so much more help than our linebackers; and a lineman pick would benefit this team much more than a linebacker.

In a perfect world, to me, I would love to see the Steelers trade up to the 20 spot and grab DeCastro above the Bengals, who have been projected to grab him. He is big and mean and would be someone the fans would fall in love with immediately. Along side Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert, having that monster on our line could help keep Ben standing.

But in case they don't trade up I think they stay offensive line. So, my pick for the Steelers at 24, trade not pending, is Cordy Glenn OT Georgia.

Glenn is extremely underrated due to the fact that he is not a left tackle, although he played there this season at UGA. Glenn is a natural guard or right tackle and with Gilbert moving to the left side he could make our line so much better. It also doesn't hurt he stands 6'5 and weighs a booming 320 lbs.

So, with less than an hour to go we will see how right I am vs the other "experts."

No comments:

Post a Comment