Friday, May 1, 2015

Sammie Coates

I know there is some uncertainty with the receiver position especially with Antonio Brown's contract issues but a third round pick for a receiver? Why not just waste another pick on an undersized return man? I don't get it. I know he has some incredible intangibles, but he has a tendency to drop the ball, Emmanuel Sanders anyone? And receiver is not exactly a huge hole for us. Its not like we need to shore up and entire defense.

I'm not saying Coates isn't a good football player because he is. He has great size at 6'1 212 lbs. He runs the 40 in 4.43 and has an impressive vertical, but why him and why grab a receiver in the 3rd round? The Steelers have Antonio Bryant, still under contract for three more years, Markus Wheaton, who was drafted in the 3rd round only two years ago, and the incredibly talented Martavias Bryant, who was a fourth round pick last year.

The pick just doesn't make sense to me for the third round. So, are you giving up on Wheaton already? Did you just draft a #4 receiver? Who are you dumping off to give him a shot to play?

I'm confused when there were some great players that could have shored up our defense including Carl Davis (Iowa), who went to Baltimore, or Xavier Cooper (Washington State), who went to Cleveland. There was also good tight ends like Jeff Heuerman (Ohio State) that could have been groomed to take Heath's place. This pick, like I said, reminds me a ton of the Dri Archer pick from last year, wasting a pick on something you don't really need when you have glaring holes.

I have faith in this front office but this pick is just a big question mark. I hope the pass on Davis and Cooper doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment