Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Draft Day One

We are just twenty four hours away from the first round of the NFL draft and that means its time for my pick. Now, I haven't got one of these right since I correctly picked the Heyward pick two drafts ago, but I'm about due.

The Steelers are in need of some key players in key positions. Cornerback, receiver, safety and of course linebacker. The one thing you'll soon understand about me is I don't like conventional picks. I'm not a fan of the popular pick because it hardly ever happens, see Courtney Upshaw last draft.

So, with that being said what are the Steelers to do?

Our defense was terrible last year and it was largely due to the lack of pressure. Its simple really, the more pressure you apply the more turnovers and sacks you get. Keep the other offense struggling and you will keep the yardage allowed and the points allowed low. Thus winning games, of course. Even with the other needs I think pressure becomes the focus for the Steelers. We need to get pressure on quarterbacks and we need to get some quality players on the line. The patch work job we've done isn't going to get the job done.

With that being said I think the Steelers go with an edge rusher, but not Jarvis Jones like most people think. I like Bjoern Werner, DE from Florida State.



He's not a huge guy at 6'3 and 266lbs but I think could transition. We need defensive lineman and he could possibly move to outside linebacker. He has good speed, a great motor and is extremely versatile. He has the JJ Watts skill set to move, stop and jump to knock down passes. He can cover tight ends if need be and could be a huge asset on the weak defensive line.

There are plenty of good players at our other needs that can be snatched up later in the draft and the Steelers really need to hit on a defensive line prospect. This could be the guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment