Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Goodbye Legend

Today is one of the few days in my life that I am ashamed to be a Steelers fan. It is not because of some detrimental thing that was done by the owner or a player but the actions of men in the front office. The Steelers announced today that they plan on releasing the greatest receiver in Steelers history.

Hines Ward was relegated to fourth string duty this season and didn't complain once. He proclaimed that the Steelers owed him anything and that it was just part of the business. This is even after he offered to cut his salary down to the bare minimum, the Steelers will release the legend anyway.

My son is named after this man and Hines was so excited and honored that he sent me an autographed picture, personalized to my son. It proudly hangs on his wall and now I can't really look at it without getting upset. I will miss the legend who passed other Steeler greats Lynn Swan and John Stallworth in every statistical category.

Goodbye Hines and thank you for all the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment