Monday, November 7, 2011

Ravens Upend the Steelers

In no way shape or form do I want to write this article I am so disgusted, but I will. Last night, fans stayed up till nearly midnight watching our Steelers (6-3) fight tooth and nail against their arch-rival Ravens (6-2)

I don't even know how to start without ranting and raving like a lunatic. The offense still refuses to run the ball and that helped with the Steelers lack of ability to eat up the clock. The defense could not get off the field as they allowed the Ravens to convert 14 of 21 third downs, all 14 through the air.

Big Ben was 20 of 37 for 330 yards and a touchdown while connecting to seven different receivers. Rashard Mendenhall carried 13 times for 52 yards and a touchdown; four yards per carry against the Ravens, the Ravens. I still cannot figure out why they would not run more and control the clock more. That costly Ben interception at the start of the third quarter could have been avoided if they weren't forcing the passing game and allowed the running backs to do their jobs.

Time to refocus and get to the playoffs; see you in January rat birds.

The defense was pitiful in this game. They could not get off the field on third down allowing the Ravens to connect on 14 of 21 third down attempts. They controlled the Ravens running game only allowing 67 net yards, but gave up a horrid 289 net passing yards and allowed the Ravens to march 92 yards in a minute to get beat.

Now, I don't like bitching about refs because I understand their job is hard to do. I was impressed with them letting the teams play last night but when they did throw the flag it was never equal to both sides. Ray Lewis hit Hines Ward helmet to helmet and was not flagged, while Ryan Clark was flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver, who is twice his size by the way. Even on the game winning touchdown the Steelers were flagged for pass interference but the push off by the Ravens receiver was ignored. I truly hope this isn't the NFL Goodell was hoping for.

I have to bring up our corners as well. I loved seeing Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown in the mix and I was extremely impressed with their play. Allen was great in coverage and I thought he did a great job wrapping people up, I wish I could say the same for the others. Ike Taylor was Ike Taylor, but when will we finally get enough of William Gay and Keenan Lewis? I counted nine third downs completed on them, nine. They played horrible, they couldn't cover anyone when it mattered and Gay seemed to get flagged on every other play.

I still don't think that the Ravens are the team to beat in the AFC North. If these two teams meet again in the playoffs we will see who the king of the division is. I am so disappointed to get swept by the Ravens, I am disappointed in how big of a joke our defense appeared when it mattered last night and most of all I am disappointed that I have to listen to football "experts" talk up the Ravens.

No comments:

Post a Comment