Thursday, October 20, 2011

Steeler Kindness

It is rare that people are directly affected by our idols on a football field. We meet them here and there at events and they usually seem very caring and appreciative of the support we give them as fans. Then sometimes those players go above and beyond all our hopes and dreams, for example Troy Polamalu and his family.

Troy and his family are frequenters on twitter and occasionally give away autographs and tickets to Steelers games. Prior to the Jacksonville Jaguars game Troy and his brother Alex Holmes decided to do just that. Alex posted that he had two tickets to give away and wanted to know how he should do that. After some twitter replies he finally decided to give out the two tickets, and for some reason he selected my mother.

My mother is a cancer survivor of nearly 20 years, and unfortunately lost her sister and mother to the disease. My mother, a second generation Italian was so excited she didn't know what to do as she pondered whether to go or not; She divided her concerns between money for the nearly 160 mile trip and the dipping health of my father, a retired factory worker and Navy veteran. How could you give up this chance? I did the only thing a loving son could do, I paid all her expenses and wished her the best time ever.

She deserved this opportunity. I will always remember my mother as the woman who nearly died but never gave up because of her kids. I remember when times where hard she walked nearly 14 miles to get to and from work to make sure that me and my brother and sister had, even if she went without.

I have all the respect in the world for Troy Polamalu and Alex Holmes. We all know the All-Pro #43, if you don't know Alex, then you obviously don't watch enough college football. Alex was a starting tight end for the USC Trojans and was a member of the 2003 and 2004 National Championship teams. He spent two years with the Miami Dolphins after going undrafted in 2005.

I don't know why he selected my mother, but I know that he made her year. He was even so kind to take a photo with her. As a member of Steeler Nation for over 25 years, thank you Troy and Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment